14 April 2010

Spring at last!



Well about time is all I can say! The winter, rain & everything the almighty could throw at me to keep me off the bike has finally now gone. I've been cycling to work again & it feels so good being in the saddle again.

The sportive rides will soon be starting soon & I'm looking forward to cycling all over the home counties for fun with my mates. Love the endorphins when they kick in, a real natural high.

This Sunday doing the usual training ride with Sandra, Gav & may be joined by some new people...... watch this space.

Last week in May I'm off & cycling for 8 consecutive days. Plan to spend at least 6 hours a day in the saddle. Off to Exmoor for the first 3 days, then home & then off to the Isle of Wight for another 3 days cycling..... how long will it take to circumnavigate the IoW..... it's about 65 miles, so I would think about 4 hours??

Looking forward to next year, doing coast to coast & another 2 friends want to have a crack at some serious climbs in the Alps or the Pyrenees: The names being mentioned are L'Alpe d'Huez, Mont Ventoux, Le Tourmalet or Le Galibier.

To put this into some perspective, depending on which website you read the king of L'Alpe d'Huez is either the late great Marco Pantini or Lance Armstrong. Both did the 10 mile climb in around 36 mins. I will be happy to do it in less than 3 hours, which will mean me being well & truely in my red zone for the duration with my pulse around 90 - 100% of my maximum...... I must be bloody mad!!


2 comments:

Roy said...

Errr, yes - you are mad!

Welna said...

A good book to read with an excellent account of cycling Mont Ventoux is 'French Revolutions - ccyling the Tour de France' by Tim Moore. Good laugh really!