17 May 2009

I can fly, I can fly oh bugger no I can't


Many many years ago when the world was at war a famous soldier (note not poet) wrote a poem about death.  It is some corner of a foreign field & tells of a soldiers thoughts should he die in Flanders Fields & that were he is buried will ever be a part of England. (see bottom of post for full poem).  I was reminded of this poem today when I came off at about 25mph after being unseated when my chain came off.  I went over the handlebars & for a brief nano second I thought I could fly.  This was dispelled just before I landed on the road & slid to a standstill on my knee, elbow & hip.  Good news nothing is broken (bike included), but I do have some serious road rash.  There is a road in Hertfordshire that will ever be me as the skin from my knee & elbow are there!!  I got back on & cycled another 20 miles through some torrential rain.  Good thing it washed nearly all the blood away!!

The chain that I put on, which was too long & I had shortened is now apparently too short so I will be taking the bike to a different cycle shop to get them to fix it tomorrow. I may spin tomorrow morning depending how my injuries are.   I have enclosed a few picture & will add some more when the bruising comes out!!

I'm now off to try & sleep, got a feeling it's going to be a disturbed nights sleep!


Being treated by St Johns Ambulance

I make an awful fuss!!


If I should die, think only this of me:

That there's some corner of a foreign field

That is for ever England. There shall be

In that rich earth a richer dust concealed;

A dust whom England bore, shaped, made aware,

Gave, once her flowers to love, her ways to roam,

A body of England's, breathing English air,

Washed by the rivers, blessed by the suns of home.

And think, this heart, all evil shed away,

A pulse in the eternal mind, no less

Gives somewhere back the thoughts by England given;

Her sights and sounds; dreams happy as her day;

And laughter, learnt of friends; and gentleness,

In hearts a peace, under an English heaven

No comments: