15 June 2008

Veni, Vidi, Vici


I came, I saw, I conquered!  Well not just me Alan as well, but my latin doesn't extend to plurals.  I should have paid more attention at school!!

We embarked on our biggest challenge yet, we completed in the London to Brighton Cycle ride today which is 54 miles from London



Alan & I before the start.  Still looking remarkably happy!



Waiting to book in at the start




The congestion was dreadful at times & we think we spent a good 2 hours waiting to move at numerous places on the route



Halfway, in a pub garden & only drinking water...............there must be something wrong?



The dreaded Ditchling Beacon.  About a mile of pure hell


Thank gawd, we did it!!




The route & also my start finish card to prove I did it!!

The ride started quite well, Alan & I cycled from mine to Clapham Common, which was about 13 miles.  We registered & then started.  After about 2 miles I had a puncture.  We changed that no problem.  The front end of bike was then making some funny noises (like a tuning fork)  I got to the bottom of this some 20 or so miles later when I lost a spoke & for the rest of the ride the bike sounded like a musical instrument!

We then finished at Brighton & cycled back to Lewes.  The bike by this time was making some strange & interesting noises & prudence dictated to call it a day before I had a catastrophic failure in the front wheel.  We cycled 73 miles, spent about 10 hours in the saddle.  My pulse monitor told me I used 5438 calories & surprisingly my bum doesn't hurt!!  My top speed was 37.6 & we averaged 10.6 miles per hour.  This could have been a lot higher, but the sheer volume of participants kept it slow.

It was great coming into Brighton (apart from the obvious of finishing) the sea-front was lined by thousands of people all cheering & clapping you on & it really does make a difference & lifts your spirits

It was a fun day, well organised, I am now off to sit in a dark room!!

No comments: